23 June 2010

Weta Winged


A shot for Doc just before launching at Benicia this evening. Those "wings" sure provide a lot of places to sit for a 14 foot boat. Tonight I practiced my tacks and gybes. It's not hard to get the boat through the wind, and gybes aren't scary like they often were in the Megabyte. Still, with those floats out there I have to wonder if I just have a false sense of security. I'm not sure yet how far I can bury one before I should be worried. A couple of big puffs had the leeward ama underwater a couple of times, but no loss of control. It just popped right back up. Top speed 11 knots so far. Fun. One more chance to practice on Friday before the big race.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Doc Häagen-Dazs said...

11 knots! Don't think I've ever done that under sail, unless I was coming off a wave when I did it. Bet the bill on your cap was bent backwards!

Dean Fulton said...

Nice tiller extension. Maybe I can borrow that sometime for the Vanguard... Hopefully you'll bring it to Huntington so we can try this thing out. I sailed Rock's G-Cat this weekend. Multihulls are strange things - sheet in and go.

David said...

It's actually a little on the short side. Sitting forward, hiked out I'm left with just the nub within fingertip reach.