22 June 2010

Weta Wetted

Flip the tiller around the mainsheet, then tack and tend to the jib sheets. No, just put the helm down, literally, go tend to the jib, and then pick the tiller up on the other tack. Flip the jib sheet forward before you furl the kite to keep it from fouling. Don't even try furling with a load on the kite. Steer up if the big puff comes from forward of abeam. Steer down if abaft. Don't oversheet the jib. Sheet just an inch to get top telltale streaming. Yikes, there is a lot to remember in this three hulled, three sailed gizmo boat, but with all the tips flying from Bob and Dave last Saturday, I was soon feeling comfortable. Well almost comfortable. It's going to take some time to reach basic competency with the Weta. I'll squeeze two more practice days in this week and then it's trial by fire at the Weta West Coast Championship on Saturday and Sunday at the San Francisco NOOD.

Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Doc Häagen-Dazs said...

I wish for photos!

David said...

Sorry, H-D. I had the camera with me, but was having too much fun to think about pulling it out. I'll try to remember to take some pictures tomorrow.

Dean Fulton said...

I think it's a Musto skiff w/ training wheels. I suppose roll tacks are out. Maybe you can train Iain to help out with one or two of those sails so you can concentrate on steering.