08 September 2009

And the Loser Is . . .

. . . Feraligatr. After a most excellent sail on The Bay yesterday in the Megabyte, I've decided it's time for her to go. I appreciate all the votes I got on this topic, and it was looking like Lapras (the "lead mine") was about to get voted off the balance sheet, but despite my wonderful time in the little boat navigating the bay chop on a 75 degree day with the Golden Gate Bridge as a backdrop, I realized I was missing something--crew. Yeah, the MB can carry a passenger, but it's really a one man (or big woman) boat. I want to share the experience with my family, with my friends. That's the same reason I unloaded all the windsurfers and bought my first sailboat so many years ago--so that I could take my girlfriend with me. Time to dedicate my precious few sailing days to the big boat, and that girlfriend who eventually married this sailor is still game.

Of course, even single-handed sailing isn't an entirely lonely pursuit. I will miss all the great friendships among the other racers both on the course and in the bar or around the campfire afterward. Then again, maybe I can beg Dean for my Vanguard crew spot back and talk him into hitting a regatta or two on the inland lake circuit.

Feraligatr is on sale here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was a tough decision, but it sounds like the right one for the right reasons. As you expressed, selling the Megabyte doesn't necessarily mean the end of your racing days. But taking that 'girlfriend' of yours will bring unmatched memories.

Rod Lee