23 May 2009

Worth the Drive

It just felt like it was time for a road trip. Whiskeytown is three and a half hours away. It's a beautiful lake, and their annual regatta is this weekend. So I made The Drive. I made it up here early enough yesterday afternoon to get out for a practice session on the lake. 85 degrees, clear sky, clear water. truly beautiful. I sailed nearly up to the end of the lake, and on the way back, sitting comfortably in the boat downwind, I had the feeling that if I just packed it in and drove all the way back home it would still have been worth it. Just perfect.

Of course, I did stick around for the regatta, and what I learned about the wind on the South side of the lake yesterday paid off today :-)

2 comments:

Dean Fulton said...

So you just leave us hanging like that? What about the racing? Last night we had almost 7 V15s, but two wussed out, one bailed out after two races, then two capsized in the 3rd. Time to go lick wounds in the parking lot after all that. 85 degrees on a fresh water lake sounds pretty good.

David said...

Wow, sounds like a missed a good night of V15 carnage. At W-town we had just enough wind to race, and that was about it. Had to resist the urge to intentionally capsize just to cool off on the long, sweaty downwind runs.

More on the racing in a bit . . .