25 August 2008

Return of Mothra!


I did a bad thing and forgot to take the family sailing for eleven months in a row. What was I thinking? Hard for me to believe, but S/V Mothra hadn't been wet since last September's knockdown episode with my sister. That also happened to be just before I brought the Megabyte home and began focusing so much of my limited sailing energy on learning to sail and race that thing. Well, enough was enough--time to get the whole family out for a nice Summer sail. I took the day off work on Thursday, pulled old Mothra out of the side yard, and hauled her 'cross the bridge to Benicia. Beautiful day: 80 something, 8 to 12, favorable current.

The picture here gives me tingly flashbacks to a time when I was the boy standing at the helm. I particularly remember the family cruise down the coast of Mexico in 1976. I was considered too young to stand a proper watch during our non-stop passage from Newport to Cabo; so, I was called upon to take over at meal time. Like my son now, I was also too short to see over the cabin top when seated. I would stand with the tiller between my legs, scanning the empty horizon, and coaxing the boat down the face of each successive wave some 300 miles offshore. It was just me riding 32 feet of mahogany with nothing but water in sight. My moment was only disturbed by the family returning on deck from their meal.

It's not right to deny my kids the joy of sailing. So, it'll be a little less Megabyte, a little more Mothra . . .

3 comments:

Dean Fulton said...

They'll only be small for so long, so they say. I think it's time to float my own kids around this long weekend coming up.

Anonymous said...

Yes, that Mexican cruise was a memorable one indeed and certainly did not dampen your love of sailing either!! Good decision to do more family time in Mothra and instill the same values in the kiddies. We hope you won't give up on the megabyte though because we really enjoyed our times up at Whyskeytown and Huntington lakes this Summer. Love, Mum and Bill

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

It's an absolutely worthwhile investment into your childrens' lives. "Just do it!" heh heh.

Nice photo too... all natural smiles there :)