06 July 2008

Progress Report

Well, next weekend is the next big regatta on the racing calendar--The High Sierra Regatta. A few weeks back, I reflected on lessons learned at Whiskeytown and set a few training goals. So, how has it been going? Well, time will tell come Sunday afternoon, but here's how the preparation has gone:
  • Racing tactics: I've been skimming through all my racing books studying, especially, upwind tactics. The good news is that Mssrs. Walker, Bavier, Elvstrom, and Pinaud all say basically the same thing. Of course, it only matters if I can remember their advice and put the principles into practice on the racecourse . . .
  • Downwind speed: I got two good downwind practice sessions in. One in moderately heavy air and the other in fluky light air. I learned to ease up on the heavy tiller grip and let the helm go neutral, steering the boat with my body, and not trying to fight the waves. It all felt fast, but we'll see how it goes relative to the other boats this weekend.
  • Tacking: My first practice session was too windy to focus much on roll tacking mechanics. instead, I worked on driving the boat to weather in a steep chop. Good thing this boat has bailers as I just about filled the cockpit a couple of times punching through green water (slow). In the second two practice sails, I managed to get the mainsheet handling figured out with a good ease as the boom crossed over setting up for a nice pump out of the tack. Still cant get the boat roll to feel right.
  • Getting in better shape: This has not gone well. Maybe the added ballast will come in handy if it blows hard at the lake, but if I'm not strong enough to put it to use, it'll more likely just slow me down. Dang. Forget all the lame excuses, I just need to get focused on making better choices to improve and sustain my health and strength.
Well, enough on the prep work, the exciting part lies ahead. I'm really looking forward to returning to Huntington Lake. It was 25 years ago that I raced a Thistle there and almost 40 that I watched from the shore as my dad raced his Mercury. It'll be my kids watching the dad race this time. If I win, they'll be excited. If I don't, I'll get the opportunity to explain to this new generation that there is more to sailboat racing than winning. I like to think my dad won the Mercury class, but honestly, I can't remember, and I know he (we) went back year after year regardless.

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Dean Fulton said...

Time flies. The High Sierra seemed like it was such a long way off. Hopefully I'll get up there next year and experience the lake and all the stories that go with it. Take lots of pics. Hopefully your Megabyte brethren will show up. I don't think I'll get much sailing done on my Montana trip. Maybe I can learn something from riding a horse...
I only see one V15 signed up so far.