03 June 2008

Lessons from Race 4 and Some New Training Goals

The Whiskeytown Regatta this past Memorial Day weekend was the first of the two big lake sailing events I have on the calendar this year. I could go on about the rain all day Saturday, the beautiful lake, the great people hosting and competing in the event, and on and on. Actually however, I can't because I'm suffering from blogger's block. But now, thanks to another challenge from Tillerman, I have some more lessons to share and a few new goals as I get prepared for the High Sierra Regatta (HSR) at Huntington Lake. In the end, Whiskeytown all came down to race #4
  • Well first off, I didn't even know there was going to be a race 4. With two bullets on Saturday, and a 3 point lead over the next two boats, all I had to do was finish in the top four on Sunday and I'd have it covered. Ooops, two races today. Charles got his stuff together and domintated the fleet with two bullets of his own. After a second in the first race, I had to claw my way back from 4th at the weather mark to 2nd at the line in race 4 to preserve the win. HSR Goal: Understand the sailing instructions, and if fortunate enough to get the lead, protect it better!
  • I was generally fast upwind, and slow downwind. HSR Goal: Go faster downwind. I'll need to get some practice sailing the boat more on the edge and finding a more neutral helm.
  • After hiking hard on Saturday (remember, fast upwind) my legs especially the knees were already sore and tired out by Sunday. HSR Goal: get in better shape! Started building a hiking bench last weekend. This next one is the HIGH Sierra Regatta; so, need to get in better cardiovascular shape, too.
  • My tacks suck. This was particularly apparent after blowing the start in race 4 and having to tack my way out of a mess only to find myself falling more behind. HSR Goal: Learn to roll tack properly. So that's it, next day on the water: practice roll tacks upwind for a while then turn around and practice boatspeed back down.
  • My starts were mixed. Good starts on day one led to wins. Poor starts on day 2 led to all kinds of problems on the first weather legs. My intensity at the line seemed lacking (was I too tired out?) HSR Goal: Study good starting technique and stay focused!
OK, enough on the learnings from Whiskeytown. I'm really looking forward to the High Sierra. A few more goals to make it special:
  • Help recruit a few more Megabyte skippers to show up (we had 3 at Whiskeytown). Sounds like we might get a couple guys from Arizona to come on out. That would be great.
  • Have a fun time with family and friends. This is a camping regatta and the the whole family is going with me. That will be fun.
  • And hey, sure would be great to win the regatta. I'll have my work cut out for me. Charles is the two time defending champ with 6 straight bullets! I can't make any of my Whiskeytown mistakes if I have any hope of keeping up with him again.

1 comment:

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

Sounds like you had a positive regatta experience. Good on you for getting out there and having a go.

Those weekend family camping regattas are the best! Enjoy yourselves.

Cyalayta
Mal :)