04 April 2008

South Shore Flashbacks

Some of my fondest sailing memories are of warm Wednesday evenings racing small boats out of South Shore Yacht Club in Newport Beach. Must have been sometime around the mid 1980's. Dean and I would race his dad's Lido 14. I don't remember a lot of on-the-boat details other than it was great fun, always close competition with Paul Blank, and without fail, there would be a pack of Oreos on board to munch on. Once off the boat, Mrs. Fulton would be waiting with all the fixings to make for a great after sail BBQ. We'd just hang out talking about the sailing and eatin' burgers--all without a care for tomorrow. Once in a while we'd get the extra special treat of a tub of sister Cindy's molasses cookies!

What brings this all back nearly 25 years later? This past Sunday, Dean and I both entered our boats in the Richmond Yacht Club "Big Dinghy" pursuit race, he in his Vanguard 15 with son, Jake, as crew and I in my Megabyte. It was a great afternoon of sailing, and lo and behold, a whole clan of Fultons awaiting at the docks to welcome us back! I got the exact same loving hug from Mrs. Fulton as I did those many years before on the South Shore docks. And, Mr. Fulton was their ready for engaging discussion of wind, tides, boats, tactics, all that good stuff. But life does move on and this time the youngsters enjoying the after race snacks and listening in on the sailing chatter were Dean and Peggy's three kids. Won't be long before they're the ones out racing and we'll be at the dock warming up the BBQ.

I just wonder if Dean and Jake had any Oreos on board. They didn't share any with me.


View Larger Map

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A fabulous recap for the day and memory jog about the days gone by. I actually have a picture on my desk of us sailing the Lido taken from the dock at SSYC. There's nothing quite like sailing in Newport.
And I seem to be lax in continuing the Oreo tradition. I will do better.
Dean

Cindy said...

That Wed. series at SSYC was called the Hibachis because in the old days everyone fired up their hibachis to grill burgers. Our kids probably don't even know what one of those is.

We'll have to come out and watch you guys race sometime. And I'll be sure to have a tub of those cookies. I'm still cranking them out!

Anonymous said...

Hey David, sounds like a lot of fun you all had at Richmond club. According to Dean's and Cindy's comments, you can expect oreos and molasses cookies next time you race. hah! They will help lessen the chill . How about BBQ afterwards?
Love, Mum

David said...

That's it. The Hibachi series! I had forgotten all about that. Dean, we must find a hibachi for Friday nights!

Mmmm . . . cookies. Come on down any time, Cindy.