05 April 2008

Out and Back, Happy Fleet

Last night was the opening for the Vanguard 15 Fleet 76 Friday night series. A great bunch of sailors building a healthy fleet through camaraderie, knowledge sharing, and some feisty short course racing. I gave up my crew position for new guy Murray who discovered the Benicia V15 fleet via our "outreach" at the RYC Regatta last weekend in which he raced his Laser. Not wanting to miss out on a good evening sail, I rigged up my Megabyte and headed out to join the fray.

Turned out 20 knots gusting 25 with a 2.5 knot counter current was a bit much for me. I poked my bow out the harbor entrance, immediately jumped to a plane, and went screaming out across the Carquinez Strait. Wow, quite a ride! But alas given that the committee boat was doing double duty as crash boat, I choose to return for an early beer rather than disrupting the V15 races with the committee attending to my likely need for a rescue. Apparently a good decision as from the shore I watched two of the six double-handed Vanguards go inverted and need help.

Flat Stanley gives it a try:
From David Anderso...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Flat Stanley rocks. I think he's ready for some high-wind gybing practice.
Dean

Anonymous said...

Kyle Giberson's Flat Stanley is sailing the world. He just needs to hold on tight so he doesn't fly away in a gust of wind. Thanks David for hanging out with the thin guy. (Later that evening FS gets rolled up in a sail!! He survives!)

Peggy

Anonymous said...

Hi David,
This is Suzie Giberson or better know as Suzie Fulton! That's my son's FS! He is so excited his Stan is on your blog. Thanks for making his day or possible his year.
You're the best and happy sailing!
XOXO

David said...

Hi Suzie! Thanks for visiting the blog. And extra thanks to your son for allowing The Stan to make a guest appearance. Maybe if you give him a laminate suit we could take him out every Friday!