18 February 2008

Esta Susana en casa?

Wow. Google that. Seems a lot of seriously messed up people have that introductory dialog stuck in their brain and it's driving them crazy. What's this got to do with sailing? I have absolutely no clue, but after a couple of Singha's after a couple of hours "sailing" with no wind in a couple of small boats, Dean and I spontaneously broke into, "Esta Susana en Casa?" "Si, Esta con un amiga." And, so on. That's creepy.

Sailing was interesting. We had about 2 knots of current in the river and about 4 knots of wind. Then, about 2 knots of wind. We were actually sailing backwards despite trailing a wake behind us. Provided a good chance to play with sail settings in light air--this time, with the old standard Megabyte rig. I had everything set loose. Off the wind, this produced a big crease going from the tack up and out to the end of the top batten. Very ugly. Pulling the vang on pretty tight bent the mast and cleaned that up. It's apparent that this sail is cut for when the mast is bent a lot. Upwind, I played with the traveler, vang, and cunningham. what I found looked good was no vang, traveler all the way to weather, and enough cunningham (quite a lot actually) to pull the draft a little farther forward in the sail. I tried using the vang upwind, too. Overall that improved the shape, but took all the twist out. In any case, one of the things that's so cool about this boat, old rig and new, is how easy it is to tweak. Now, figuring out just where to tweak it to, that's the hard part. Interesting stuff.

"Ay caramba! Cuando arreglan mi quarto, no encuentro nada!" No idea what I'm talking about? I guess you didn't take high school Spanish.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two years of high school Spanish and that's all that stuck -- pretty sad. There's still the old stand-bys: "no tengo la menor idea", "no habla espanol" and "dos cervasas, por favor". Who needs more?
Looking forward to the RYC race/cruise this weekend. I expect to see a full write-up on it. And I promise to post a response in a more respectable amount of time. Maybe I'll even remember to bring your watch and couple of books that I've had on loan for several moons. I'll try to get Jake out there (if he can stay awake) and try hard not to blame him if we don't win.
Dean

Clay said...

I am willing to bet that you could walk into a meeting with people over the age of 40, say "Esta Susana en casa" and at least ONE person will give you the next line - it's creepy - I've actually done it.

David said...

Talk about creepy--never expected a comment on a post that's almost as old as my Spanish. Anyway, tried the experiment today. Didn't work. Maybe there's an upper limit on the ages it works with?

bdlebo said...

Donde esta en la sala?

Anonymous said...

no, en la cocina

Anonymous said...

Quien sabe cuando llega Eva?

Anonymous said...

My friends and I changed it to Susan and her boyfriend being in the bedroom, and it cracked our thirteen-year old selves up.

Unknown said...

I love this! I was looking for the dialog about a snake in a bag. I remember the bolsa part...

Unknown said...

I love this! I was looking for the dialog about a snake in a bag. I remember the bolsa part...

Unknown said...

Si esta con una amiga

Mark said...

"Ay, me apreitan mucho los zapatos!" How many times I had to complain that my shoes hurt! How many times.... And somehow, I didn't even learn the sentence I had memorized. It was rote repetition. If someone had asked me how to say "your shoes are hurting you", I wouldn't have been able to do it. (Forgetting, for a moment, what a useless phrase that is to learn in the first place: how many times in your life are you ever going to use that phrase?!)

Anonymous said...

¿Es Lillie la tia de Susana?

Anonymous said...

A quien llamas ala chicka americana. Si, querompracticar ingles.......

Anonymous said...

This really made me smile. Haven’t thought of that in decades.
Would be fun to somehow find the book again.

Donde esta? En la sala?
No, en la cocina.