09 January 2008

Small Boat Midwinters!

The weather was pretty dang good in Richmond this past Sunday considering the storm that blew through here a couple of days earlier. We got 8 to 10 kts. with no rain and nice flat water inside the breakwater. I pulled off 6 bullets, but that's not saying much considering the only other boats in the Open class were FJs and CFJs which rate slower than the Megabyte. They could just about hang with me upwind, but I smoked them going downwind.

Although not in the same class, we shared the starting sequence with the three-boat Snipe class. The Snipes seemed to be well sailed and made for closer competition than the FJs. I was able to beat one of them each race and another a couple of times out of six. Upwind, they were markedly faster than I was. I certainly couldn't point as high as these sloop rigged boats. Downwind, I gained slightly but not enough to catch them.

Hopefully we'll see a few more Megabytes from Fleet 3 at the Feb edition to make for some closer boat to boat racing.

4 comments:

Dean Fulton said...

It would be groovy to get a couple of the Vanguards out there, too. The TISC group seems to pretty much shutdown during the winter. 20+ V15s and they're all sitting idle! I suppose most of them aren't setup for easy trailering like we're trying to be. Too bad the Sausalito midwinters overlap. If only I could be two places at once. I'll get the Lake Washington midwinters put on my calendar and see if I can get to one of those.

David said...

Yeah, that would be good. The way RYC has the classes broken up, you would be in the outside-the-breakwater open class with the Thistles, Lightnings, 505s, etc. In other words, you'd likely get your butt whooped.

Let's talk about the LWSC thingy. I don't know if the other MBs are gonna sail that one either. Maybe we could do the V15 together if we can get any of your fellow 76ers to go for it.

Anonymous said...

Hi David (and Dean too),
Sounds like you guys are having fun with these small boats! So, just where is L,
. Washington anyway?

Hi David ( and Dean too), It sure is fun reading about your small boat escapades including the calamities!! So, David, you found yourself out amongst Snipes too! that would be fun. I wonder if LIMEY 2 is still in the area. why don't they give out handicaps or would that be not easy to figure out? Glad you didn't take another dumping on Sunday. Love, Mum

David said...

Lake Washington is a wide spot at the end of the Sacramento Deep Water Shipping Channel where they turn the ships around. Turns out to be a nice place to sail small boats, too.

Yeah, normally we would race using the Portsmouth handicap system, but for these casual Winter races, nobody bothers keeping the time :-)