31 December 2007

Three For Five

Last Thursday, I got the Megabyte wet for the fifth time and managed to go swimming again--that's three for five. This time was particularly embarrassing as I capsized at the dock while trying to belly my way up the foredeck to the dock. A couple of nice kids on the dock where pretty confused by the old guy swimming in the bay. They helped out by retrieving my floating hat and water bottle, but unfortunately the handheld VHF which I had just unclipped went straight to the bottom. Bummer.

Prior to the dunking, the sail was quite nice, though. Very light wind made for some good practice time snapping the full battens when tacking and getting my weight well forward. One thing I noticed is that this boat is too light (and probably too wide) to ghost through the lulls. When the wind stops, it sticks.

RYC Small Boat Midwinters this coming Sunday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey david! 3 for 5!!!!!!!!?? Haven't you heard of 3 strikes and you're OUT!!!!! Better watch out kid! Anyways, too bad about losing the VHF but good that you had your stop watch held firmly on your wrist ( that is, assuming you had it with you.) Good luck in your race on Sunday and do try to STAY DRY! lOVE, mUM.

Dean Fulton said...

It's about time you updated your blog! That water's getting a bit cold for swimming, I imagine. I think I'm most likely going to sail with the big boats this Sunday. Be prepared for wet weather -- looks like it may be raining.
Dean