29 October 2010

Worst Regatta Ever?

Race 1 abandoned 3/4 of the way through--not sure if it was because of the ship approaching or the race committee forgot we were still racing and pulled the weather mark. Three to four knots of ebb by the end of the day. Starting was treacherous with one 505 getting pinned to the bow of the committee boat, capsizing, and nearly getting sucked under. Fleet held up by chase boats on multiple occasions mid leg to let large commercial traffic through. Oh, and it rained. That was day one at the St Francis Fall Dinghy Regatta.

Day two promised to be . . . um . . . worse, and it was--a truly nasty day on the bay. Dave Berntsen rigged up, went out, inverted, and returned. Stephan and I rigged up and then before leaving the dock, watched the carnage (like the big puff that knocked over a whole gaggle of Lasers.) We decided to stay put. The race committee abandoned on account of excessive carnage without getting any races in.

Of course it wasn't all bad. On both days there was plenty of hot water in the showers, free beer, and bar grub afterward. The Weta fleet continues to strengthen under the leadership of local distributor, Dave. Eleven boats signed up (eight braved the weather and made it to the line.) Dave has us well organized and provides endless pre-race support and boat handling tips ashore. What with all the weather and shipping challenges, the racing was kind of lame, but hey, we sailed; we raced, and we had a good time chatting Wetas in the parking lot and at the club.

As for my day: I was leading race 1 with one mark to go when it was abandoned; I just couldn't get in sync in race 2, finishing 4th; race 3 was crazy with commercial traffic. On the upwind leg, an ocean going barge towed 100+ yards behind a huge tug cut through the course (OK, the course cut through the shipping channel.) I had a nice lead at the time, but the St. Francis chase boats made it clear that I would need to hold up. On the downwind leg, a container ship emerged out of the fog--crap. I gybed to port and set a course for the monster's transom. The size of the wake off the bulb was really a surprise--must have been 6 to 8 feet. I went up and over the leading one without much fuss and then started to worry about how to get over the backside of the other one. With a sort of zigzag move, I got over the top and then "dropped in". As I outran the wind, all the sheets went slack, and I had to make a fairly tight bottom turn to get powered back up again. About this time, a 5o5 crested the wave behind me. It looked just like a scene from Big Wednesday as they came ripping down the face. Wild! I dodged the surfrider and sailed on for the win.

OK, so it wasn't my worst regatta ever. With a 4-1 I did win it after all on the tie break.

A bunch of photos at Ultimate Yacht Shots including this one of Dave Berntsen demonstrating what fast looks like.

5 comments:

Dean Fulton said...

That's phenomenal - 1st place? Way to go. Nice turnout even if Benicia Bob wasn't there. Crazy Fall wind and weather...

David said...

Yo, Dean, Where are ya? Up for some sailing today? Lapras is headed for the bay around noon.

Tillerman said...

I wish I had could have a regatta that was so bad that I actually won it.

Why did the RC position a course across the shipping channel? Isn't the ocean big enough to find somewhere else?

David said...

In defense of the RC, they did a remarkably good job braving the same crappy conditions we had to sail in while keeping everybody safe. Normal for the city front venue is a nice Westerly building throughout the day with courses running East-West with lots of spectator potential as boats try to find the optimum wind/current advantage close to the beach or out in the shipping channel. When a ship comes through, the beach route is always open. Unfortunately with the storms last week came a Southerly blowing right 'cross the shipping channels (yeah, there are two.) When the ships came (I lost count at five or so) there was no alternate route and we just had to hold up and wait.

The O'Sheas said...

I need to race with you guys. I can put my surfing skills to use. I know how to handle kooks dropping in on my wave.