05 July 2010

Fast and Stupid Fast

Having survived day one, it was time to push it a bit on day two. One thing I was learning quickly about multihulls is that there is a big difference between fast and stupid fast. The trick is to find the groove maximizing the percentage of time spent at stupid fast. Today, I focused in particular on upwind speed. I stopped staring at the telltales (a nasty monohull habit) and just felt the boat. Stupid fast feels distinctly different from fast. When I found the groove, it was more like flying than sailing. Sitting out on that windward ama just skimming over the wave tops as the leeward ama dug in, I imagined I was a pelican doing that thing they do.

Here's what it looks like from off the boat.

That's me at 3:17 and 4:13.

And hey, increasing my stupid fast percentage paid off as I climbed into 4th place for the regatta. I love my new boat.

Lots of regatta pictures here including the photo of the year here--That's Bruce from San Diego--very nice guy.




4 comments:

Dean Fulton said...

Amazing stuff! Those things rip. I can't imagine trying to deal with all the new stuff w/ a big breeze and actually trying to figure out how to race a multihull. I'm assuming tacking duels were out. And how exactly do you sail without staring at tell-tales? I need to know.
I guess Bob H. got his phantom DNF removed...

Anonymous said...

Hey, that is super exciting stuff David!! I spotted you twice, or should I say, I spotted THE HAT on the yellow hulled boat. Looked like you knew what you were doing too!!!! I'm not sure I would want to try it out. Looks a bit scary but loads of fun and a brand new challenge for you ! Lvoe, mum

David said...

Regarding the hat, there is actually a "no goofy hats" rule in the local fleet. Mine was barely acceptable because it's considered "practical." I did, however, discover that it's not a good Weta hat. I'm going so dang fast all the time that it keeps wanting to blow off my head! switched to a regular cap on Sunday.

Yeah, not too many tacking duels. Changing directions takes away from stupid fast time. With practice, I'll get better at it, but there's just too much to do to get from one tack to the other with speed. I also found that while tacking I was most at risk of capsizing. Until the boat gets going, it has a tendency to blow over in a big gust.

Yep, Bob got his rightful 3rd. I sent a note to the race committee asking them to check their score sheet. The found the error and updated the standings. Now, I just need to get the trophy and prize to him.

Carol said...

I, too, saw your floppy hat as you went CRAZY FAST through the water! I liked your yellow topsides and red sail the best of all. It looks like a lot of fun! Keep it up, David. You look really cool! Love, Carol