25 April 2009

To Megabyte or Not to Megabyte

Have to admit the thought of getting out of the Megabyte has crossed my mind. Is it the psychological impact of the sick economy (I'm still employed after all) or wanting to devote more sailing time to the big boat or maybe just reconsidering the kind of racing I want to do. Whichever, and until I decide, I've got some good racing planned for this Summer: Whiskeytown, family fun at Huntington Lake, and capped off with the Megabyte North Americans (10 boats would be a huge turnout, whoohoo!) in September on The Bay. The NAs is something to look forward to and at the moment is one thing keeping my interest in the boat--dedicate one more summer to improving my skills in the boat and then see what I can do. There's also the hope that having the NAs local will boost interest in the class here.

Well, either way, had a great time a week ago mixing it up with the Vanguards. I started late, kept to the edge of the course, and took wide mark roundings to avoid screwing with the boats actually racing. Still good fun and good to get some tacking and gybing practice after being out of the boat for quite a while. I was reminded that the Megabyte is a great boat to sail. Responsive, challenging, and comfortable. Maybe I'll keep it another Summer . . .

5 comments:

Tillerman said...

Know exactly how you feel. I go through these times periodically when I feel like I don't want to sail much and start speculating about whether some different boat might revive my interest... and then one superb afternoon in my Laser will change my whole attitude and I'm hooked again.

Dean Fulton said...

Less Megabyting and more Vanguarding - that's my vote....

Anonymous said...

more single handing
vanguarding is fun, but takes two
lasering is fun, but cramped

hang in there David on the modern dinghy.
mack

Unknown said...

Manchester Yacht Club July 31-Aug 1 - Megabyte!!!!

David said...

Hah! It's a little late, dude. I hope the rest of you guys have fun, though.