30 December 2008

One More Best Day?

Is it OK to have two best days? Maybe it was the peace after motoring for an hour and a half. Maybe it was just the break from Christmastime frenzy. Or maybe it was the memories of pottering about Alamitos Bay with my young bride. Whichever, the first time in many years sailing alone with Kecia has to count as a best day. With the kids safely tucked away at Gung Gung and Po Po's, we ventured out into a strong flood tide aboard Lapras, and perhaps suffering from the need for some kind of year-end accomplishment, we set the goal of making it to the Carquinez Bridge and back. Wind and tide conspiring against us meant we would have to motor the three and three quarter nautical miles to pass below the new span. A nice little trek, actually, out past the old C&H suger plant, and the feeling of busting out of the Strait and kissing the waters of San Pablo Bay made it worth it, I guess. With the day wearing on, however, it was time to spin around and motor back up the Strait. Now with the current at our backs and the cold East wind at our faces, we made quick but very chilly time. "You know, we had better shut the motor down and unfurl the jib so that we can say we went sailing today," I said as we pulled abeam of Port Costa. 20 seconds later, the engine was off, jib unfurled, and peace was found.

As we approached Benicia Point the wind "built" to about four knots. Added to the nearly two knot flood we had enough wind for a gurgling wake. And that was it--not another sound on the Strait this chilly weekday day.

10 comments:

Tillerman said...

Please don't tell me you are bringing up your kids to call their grandparents Gung Gung and Po Po?

David said...

That's Chinese for grandparents on the mother's side.

The O'Sheas said...

Nice post. You're the only guy I find posting about actual sailing these last couple of days of the year. Maybe I need to make friends with some antipodal sailors.

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

Oh, there's nothing that sounds as good as the sound of the bubbles gurgling out from under your stern on a quiet day, is there? Beautiful. Thanks for sharing :)

Tillerman said...

Apologies for my cultural insensitivity. I just didn't want anyone in my family getting the idea to call me Gung Gung.

David said...

Hey Tillerman,
No worries. My children's British grandfather certainly wouldn't go for "Gung Gung" either. Heck, they're not even on a first name basis. It's Granddad Anderson to them. :-)

David said...

Hey, Mal is one of those "antipodal sailors" (relative to us anyway.) How's the weather down there, bud?

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

The weather has been gorgeous! I live inland from the sea, and after six+ years of drought around here, the water levels for rural sailing around here are pretty low. I haven't even taken my boat off my trailer this season yet! That's pretty disappointing, huh? :(

We'll get there :)

The O'Sheas said...

Disappointing on the sailing end, but the 'gorgeous' sounds good.

Are you in Queensland? I've got some cousins out near Roma.

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

I'm in the Central West of NSW, actually :) God's own country, naturally! :D